As the wellness segment grows and more and more people who have a garden opt for buying their own hot tub, it is essential to be aware of the importance of properly treating the water.
The main objective of water treatment is to maintain the safety conditions for the users and to ensure their comfort when using the hot tub. Here are some benefits you get if you always have clean water:
- Keeping water free from bacteria and algae
- Ensuring users enjoy a safe, non-toxic environment
- Preventing unpleasant water odor
- Enhancing the life span of the tub`s equipment, fittings and pipes
- Preventing lime scale deposits on hot tubs, filters and tubing
Measuring the hardness, alkalinity or the content of metals of the water in your hot tub is important, because you can determine the type of chemicals used and the correct quantities, according to the parameters obtained. Water quality is also influenced by external factors such as ambient temperature, number of users or its location; all these elements must be taken into account when treating the water in your hot tub.
A very important aspect in treating the water is the pH. The disinfectant will react to maximum capacity only if the pH of the water is neutral. According to people who sell the best hot tubs in Denver, PH adjustment is the first procedure to be performed before the disinfectant and other chemicals are administered. A pH that is too alkaline or too acidic affects not only the action of other chemicals but may cause irritation of the eyes and skin, corrode the tub`s accessories or allow limestone deposits through the tubing.
Disinfection of water
In essence, disinfection of water is the destruction of the microorganisms in it – viruses, bacteria, algae and fungi. Adding disinfectant water treatments to the appropriate amounts will initiate the cleaning process as quickly as possible, thus reducing the risk of illness (otitis, dermatological diseases etc.). This process can be done with various chlorine-based products, active oxygen (granular / liquid), bromine, UV treatment, ozone, ionization. It is recommended to discuss the advantages and disadvantages of each method with a specialist.
Ideal values for water parameters in a hot tub
- pH: 7.2 – 7.4 (maximum 7.8)
- Free chlorine (CL f): 0.5 – 3 mg / l
- Chlorine combined: maximum 0,5
- Alkalinity: 80-120 mg / l CaCO3 (maximum 180)
- Hardness: 5 – 10 pH
- Cyanuric acid (CYS): ideally 30-50 ppm (maximum 100)
The tracking of important parameters for water quality can be done with various colormetric, photometric or electrostatic analysis kits, easy and fast to use.
Why does your hot tub require increased attention when it comes to water treatment?
- The volume of water is very small, which means instability
- The temperature of the water is high, which means that the watched values will often change
- Heated water consumes a larger amount of chemicals in a short time
- There are often several users in a smaller volume of water and each one brings contaminants
Irrespective of the method of treatment chosen, the water check must be performed often. The water should be refreshed and, depending on the results of the analysis, the hot tub will be emptied, washed and disinfected as often as necessary.